Our Mission, Your Recovery
At The Discovery House, the longevity of your recovery is most important to us. We want you to feel at home while you’re with us, but we also want you to feel at home out in the “real world.” That’s why we equip you with a strong foundation and education in drug and alcohol addiction, the disease concept, and various types of therapy. So that you’re ready to live your life to its fullest. An alumni program is just one of the many ways we help you stay committed to your recovery.
An intensive outpatient program (better known as IOP) typically begins after completion of a residential treatment program. Outpatient is a vital element of a healthy aftercare plan. During this stage, you won’t require the level of care that you received in residential, but you will still attend regular weekly groups, individual therapy, as well as AA and NA meetings.
12 Step Program
Studies show that support groups like AA, NA or our alumni program are effective in preventing a relapse because they provide encouragement and motivation to stay substance-free. We have designed our alumni program to provide support to members and also to help them get involved with positive activities in the community.
Monthly Alumni Panel Meetings
You are welcome and encouraged to join us every month for our standing Alumni meeting, as well as our weekend family days. You will be able to stay in touch with friends that you made during your stay at our drug alcohol treatment center, as well as make new ones. You’ll get to touch base with The Discovery House staff to let them know how you are doing.
Events and Get-togethers
We offer and encourage participation in our alumni program to all those who have completed any of our treatment programs. The alumni association regularly schedules outings, provides mentorship, and meets monthly. This group will help to establish and maintain a connection with the recovery community. It’s also a great way to stay connected and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, the group regularly undertakes projects and fundraising efforts that benefit the community at large.
Once you’ve established a solid foundation of recovery at our residential drug treatment center, you can begin participating in some alumni-related events. We have a private Facebook support group that you will be invited to join in and a monthly newsletter with all the updates you need to know. We also have a running schedule of meetings that you can attend weekly.
You’ve finished rehab but don’t think the work stops here. This is where you are going to have to take everything you learned in treatment and apply it to your life in the real world. If that sounds scary to you, don’t worry. When you complete residential treatment, your therapist will work with you to create a customised aftercare or discharge plan. Having a plan will help you to implement what you have learned, stay focused on working your program, and maintain long-term recovery.
Benefits of Participating in an Alumni Program
- Stay in touch with other alumni in the program
- Connect with others in your area
- Attend monthly events which help you to work your steps and maintain long-term recovery
- Come back to speak on a panel (it feels great to pass on your story and possibly help other people struggling)
- Find a sponsor
- Find great meetings near you
- Access to a built-in recovery support system
Alumni Participation Promotes Recovery
- Relapse is a genuine possibility, especially in the first year.
- Continuing to work the 12 steps and serving the addiction community will help you prevent the cycle of drug and alcohol addiction.
- Upon discharge, you will have reliable relapse prevention tools to help you stay sober. The relationships that you will develop during your stay are ongoing, long-term and vital to us as well.
- As a member of our alumni program, you will always have a support system to turn to who understand that the transition into a new life of sobriety isn’t always smooth especially in times of crisis.